Friday, October 3, 2014

青出于蓝

This poem was inspired by a photo from the exhibit "A Beautiful China" held in the Old Rizal Library, which I submitted for my CHN 4 class last December 2013.
Here is the photo I chose with the caption, "Hani terraced fields of Honghe river basin, Yunnan Province." Photo by Chen Hainin/Xinhua. 

The title 青出于蓝 (qing chu yu lan) is a Chinese proverb that literally means, "green born out of blue." It is used to describe a student or a child excelling beyond the level of his/her teacher or parent, as in how green is a more brilliant color that comes from blue.



早晨
妈妈把你绑在背后
我们一起到稻田做工。

我蹲下  往下看
你举头  往上看
眼前一样的蓝色天空
你期望的美妙宽阔
我看到的只是影子。

你就尽量追
追着那光亮的太阳
永远不许像我蹲下
让梦想
青春
幸福
在背后偷偷溜走
直到生命的

黄昏。

~

In the dawn,
let mother carry you on her back,
and work the rice fields together.

 As I crouch down, staring downward,
you raise your head, looking upward,
our eyes meet the same brilliant blue sky,
that grand horizon that you hope for,
all I see is its reflection.

Then you must chase it down,
pursue that ray of light from the sun,
never let yourself bend over, as I had done,
letting dreams,
youthfulness,
happiness
slowly drift away behind me
until life has reached

its dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I write less now

Sadness was my muse, I lived with her for decades she held me and cried with me in the dark, and I held her close, immortalized her in my wr...

Popular