Thursday, August 11, 2022

All Mine

Poetry spares too few words,
and songs end too quickly,
for a love that finally
encompasses worlds
and stretches time--
this love, a love that is all mine.

I wish to write and to write
for you, enough lines
to know what it has been like--
to bask, and to bathe
in the warmth, that light
that you make for me,
day after day after day.

You bring me skies,
you bring me rain,
away from the cities,
and back again,
thunderstorms, and raging seas,
open fields, and urban highways,
yes, in every weather,
and every time of day,
everywhere we stay,
you are my safe place,
my stronghold, my solace.

You hold me, and you calm me
as I flail, and I fall,
my tears and my pain
you catch them all,
in the palms of your hands,
your beautiful, strong hands
that protect me, and hold true
every single promise from you.

These metaphors I may have used
in some previous time, lost and confused,
embroidering many a broken poem--
the hundreds and hundreds of them,
torn apart, then threaded together anew
into this patchwork of poetry of all that I knew
about love-- and everything that it defined
for this weary, broken heart of mine--
They were all written, leading up to you.

So, let me write more and more lines,
perhaps the end of it I shall not let you see,
because for a love that promises infinity,
poetry spares too few words,
and songs end too quickly,
for a love that finally
encompasses worlds
and stretches time--
this love is a love that is all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Secrets

There are secrets I must keep from you little treasures that I like to keep close You cannot peek! I must lock these up like a schoolgirl...

Popular