Friday, June 24, 2011

An overused metaphor...


Is like a starry starry night,
A flightless bird in perfect flight.
A frightful gust on a windy day,
A peaceful walk in the middle of May,
The echo of a church bell ringing,
The crickets outside my window singing, 
An immaculate white sheet of snow
The cawing of an angry crow.
O my love is a red, red rose,
And where it stops, nobody knows,
For only God can make a tree,
And the world is an oyster for fools like me.
Because when all the world's a stage,
And all words have been put to page,
As right as rain, the metaphor
Has become the poets' whore. 

Now similes, on the other hand,
Lust only for a one-night stand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I write less now

Sadness was my muse, I lived with her for decades she held me and cried with me in the dark, and I held her close, immortalized her in my wr...

Popular