Wednesday, September 25, 2024

I write less now

Sadness
was my muse,
I lived with her for decades
she held me
and cried with me in the dark,
and I held her close,
immortalized her in my writing
about every heartbreak,
every walk in the rain,
every commute alone--
when all I had was her,
each line was poignant, sending ripples
across time-- my attempt
at negotiating with the void
to bring back all I had lost.

I write less now.

You see,
someone else holds the both of us now,
He holds us close,
he is strong and he is steadfast.
Though he writes no poetry,
He chooses us, he lives with us,
and we are his muse.

and so perhaps soon,
there will be no need
to write so much for her,
not to brood or
to writhe in the deep end,

So suddenly,
we find ourselves at the surface,
breathing and laughing,
rushing toward a brightness
in the horizon,
almost running on water,
skipping stones,
and tripping over ourselves
for that beautiful unknown
at the edge of the universe--
for the rest of our mortal lives,
a vow to exist together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I write less now

Sadness was my muse, I lived with her for decades she held me and cried with me in the dark, and I held her close, immortalized her in my wr...

Popular