Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Every night.

It is late at night, and I have nothing to do. I scroll down my Facebook news feed which contains photo after photo of pretty faces that never stop smiling. Smiling at their puppies, smiling at their boyfriends, smiling at their magnum bars, smiling at themselves in front of a mirror. There must be something better to do.

I glance at the first name on the top of my chat list. He isn't online anymore. He must have gone to bed. It is past his bedtime. I click on the second name instead. Hey, what are you up to? :) It takes him about 10 minutes to reply. Every single time. He never asks how I am.

I close the browser. It's 12:42 AM. I turn off the computer monitor and get up to get a glass of water. I come back to my desk and go back on Facebook. Nothing new. The left side of my head is starting to throb and feel heavy. It is getting late. I try to soothe my developing migraine by massaging my left temple. Kumusta naman? I can help you with that if you want. :D He still hasn't replied.

My mother gets up to shoo me off to sleep. If you're not doing anything useful, go to bed. I pretend I'm really interested in someone's new batch of lemon squares. She sighs. She gets up to turn off the lights herself. I blink at the bright white screen as my eyes get accustomed to the dark. He replied.

No na. Thanks though. :)

I can type in the dark. Oh, okay. :)

Hey. Matutulog na ako. :) Good night.

Oh. Okay. He goes offline.

Something starts to feel heavy in my chest. I glance at the first guy's name again. He is smiling at me from his tiny photo thumbnail. I click on his name. I scroll up to read the old conversations we had. He was always the first to say good night.

I think tonight is going to be another restless night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I write less now

Sadness was my muse, I lived with her for decades she held me and cried with me in the dark, and I held her close, immortalized her in my wr...

Popular