Saturday, April 2, 2011

(F)light Images

The lights go out.
I find myself caged in the dark.

Voices twitter around me--
little squeals of delight.
I know what is coming,
so I ruffle my feathery pink dress,
and adjust the paper tiara on my head.

Someone takes my hand,
and leads me to the middle of the room.
My little throne is ready.
I perch gracefully on it,
and wait for everyone’s attention.

An adult hand fumbles with a matchbox.
A small light flutters alive,
and douses all of us in its feeble warmth.

It alights on the candle.
A swelling song ensues.
It shall soon fade to a close, so
I shut my eyes,
and say my silent prayer,

“I wish I can fly.”

A gush of my breath,
the light goes out.
I find myself caged in the dark.

1 comment:

Featured Post

I write less now

Sadness was my muse, I lived with her for decades she held me and cried with me in the dark, and I held her close, immortalized her in my wr...

Popular